Topher's Grace

My forum for discussing things I like and things that piss me right the Hell off!!!!!! Bush/Cheney=Evil Empire!!!!!! Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others. ~Groucho Marx

Friday, July 21, 2006

My take on Superman Returns

Well I went out last night and caught a late show of Superman Returns. Here is my list of good and bad things from the movie. If you haven't seen it yet this may have some spoilers, but the movie has been out long enough so to hell with you if you haven't seen it yet.

Stuff That I Liked:
#1: Superman was Super, he was shown to be as powerful as he is in the comics. It always bothered me in the previous incarnations of Supes (movies) when he would struggle to pick up a car. He's freaking Superman, he can move a planet!
#2: Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. Great job as LL, more evil than he has ever been portrayed on film before.
#3: John Williams score. I agree with Creamer on this one, I got all goo when the opening music started.
#4: Airplane sequence. Probably my favorite part of the movie.
#5: Scenes of Superman flying, best looking and most realistic looking ever.
#6: "Didn't there used to be two of them?"

Stuff I Didn't Like:
#1: Too much Lois Lane and she looked way too young.
#2: SuperBastard Baby- I kept waiting for the kid to have a different expression on his face, talk, do something and quit being such a wimp. Supermans kid has asthma, and is allergic to all types of food?
#3: Nasty, walking skeleton, skanky Parker Posey. I think that if I was Lex Luthor I would have a hotter girlfriend than her. One with tits, not the chest of a 10 year old boy. And why didn't Lex push that bitch out of the helicopter when she dumped the crystals?
#4: Anti-Climatic ending.
#5: Soooo...a Kryptonite land mass doesn't affect Superman if he picks it up from the bottom?
#6: Perry White and Jimmy Olsen- were they in the movie? Easily forgotten characters in this movie.

Overall I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

Of course the big question that I had the entire movie was...Didn't Phoenix kill Cyclops in X III?

3 Comments:

  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger BDC said…

    I think what they were getting at with the Kryptonite island is that Superman used his heat vision to burrow into the bedrock underneath so that there was insulation, but I'm obviously jumping pretty far to that conclusion. It still bugs me why they insist on making Luthor obsessed with real estate schemes. Maybe he should wear a Century 21 jacket in the next movie. Instead of rehashing the real estate scheme from Superman The Movie, wouldn't it have made more sense for Luthor to tap into the Kryptonian technology to create Brainiac or perhaps create Bizarro? Heaven forbit that Superman have villains other than Luthor, Richard Pryor and Nuclear Man!

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger C. W. Henry said…

    That was pretty much the assumption that I had about that scene also but it just seemed weird. If they didn't already do the Superman being gone for five years, I thought that it would have been cool for the next movie to pick up after Doomsday had killed him, then show the battle with Doomsday as a flashback. Brainiac would be nice also.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger BDC said…

    Here's another thought on the whole land mass thing. I figure after spending $200 million on this movie there wasn't much money left for portraying the tsunami or massive flooding that should have resulted from this huge kryptonian land mass forming in the Atlantic ocean. OR the tsunami or other consequences caused by Superman lifting said huge mass from the Atlantic ocean thereafter, along with however many tons of rock he burrowed out beneath it. Details, details.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home